Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Growing Up!

It is incredible how much Zoe has grown the last couple of weeks. Developmentally, I mean (sadly, weight wise, she is still under 20 lbs). She knows the words for eyes, eye brow, ears, nose, face, teeth, tongue, belly, backside, legs and toes and points to them with great glee. She tests us, our limits and the meaning as well as power of "no." But she does so in the cutest possible way. Just the other night, she said to us most emphatically, "no, no, no, no, no." I'm not sure if we responded as we should. Dennis was so shocked he gasped. Then, we laughed so hard I think we delighted her. But I am pretty sure she knows the meaning of the word.

She has also been very keen on walking about by herself and demands to be let down whenever we are out and about. She indicates as much by pushing against me and by saying "zhou zhou," which is walk in Chinese. Previously, she would never hold my hand when I ask her to or allow me to hold her hand. She is determined to wander off and says as much with her entire body language. But yesterday at the Zoo, even though she was really keen to walk, she responded to my "hold mommy's hand" by extending her hands to me. We walked hand in hand. Even though it was short lived, she got it and today she did it again when I asked her to hold my hand.

Independence she may seek, she does, I think, look to us as role models. For example, she recently started to demand for us to read her books a couple of times a day (it used to be just bed time). She also wanted books inside her crib. A couple of times, I allowed it and was amazed (and delighted) to see in the video monitor that she was in fact "reading" the book in the crib. I think her sudden interest may be related to how, for a few days after Christmas, she saw me carrying a book about the house and reading it whenever I can. (The book in question is my Christmas gift from Dennis and it is "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell).

She is growing! We love her so much.

No comments: