Thursday, January 8, 2009

First "Separation"

Today, this morning, Zoe and I had our first "separation" experience. This has been a long time in the planning and I am very, very happy to say that it was as smooth sailing as can be. Zoe made through some 50 minutes of being away from me without fuss or much duress. At one point, about 8 minutes into my workout, I took a peek in and she was sucking her thumb and being comforted by one of the sitters there. Otherwise, she did wonderfully and did not cry once according to the sitters. In fact, she seemed to have enjoyed herself very much, so much so that when I went to get her, she did not notice me for a good minute, being totally engrossed in watching a boy push a toy truck around.

I am so glad I did it too. Even though I looked forward to this day, I also dreaded it. I was worried about traumatizing Zoe, even though I know children are resilient, that she receives so much love and attention in general to be harmed by a little separation, and that this practice is in fact good for her and for me. It is time to start.

No comments: