Monday, July 13, 2009

Crafty

I've come to the realization that my daughter is shockingly crafty, and that I need to watch her very closely, as her nascent cunning seems to know no bounds.

Case in point: this evening during storytime, Zoe abruptly got up from my lap and proclaimed loudly that she was "all done read." She then proceeded to toddle toward the door. When I asked her where she was going, Zoe froze in her tracks, then turned slowly to me, emitting a barely audible whine. When she was once again facing me, she had a comically pained expression on her face as she reiterated that she was "all done read" and then declared in Mandarin that she wanted to play outside.

Struggling to suppress a laugh, I told her very patiently that playtime was over and that it was time for bed.

Zoe whined a bit louder.

What was especially funny was that during this whole battle of wills, Zoe was actually slowly backing her way to the door. I was too amused to give chase, so as I sat there on the floor with the forgotten storybook in my lap, she kept creeping, creeping, creeping, never taking her gaze off me, until finally she was just an unruly mop of hair and two little eyes peeking at me from around the doorframe.

No comments: