Saturday, October 17, 2009

Experiencing






Zoe has learned to smile for the camera, except that, because she puts so much effort into smiling, the effect is more or less a squint. It's still cute, but I think I'll stop saying "smile" whenever I try to take a picture of her. Her natural smile is so much sweeter.

Today, we attended the last of the gardening classes we signed up with Victory Gardens San Diego. I'm not sure we know a whole lot more than before we started, but it has been fun and I think the point is to continue learning as we do the actual gardening. Showing Zoe around the gardens, I felt great happiness for her. It took me 37 years to get to this point: seeing what a broccoli, cauliflower, kale, chard plant look like (and not just a vegetable to buy from the grocery store). And here is Zoe, learning and experiencing it at two years old.

Talk about experiencing, we went to La Milpa Organica again this evening. La Milpa holds a potluck at their farm every third Saturday of the month. We made it today. And I'm so glad we did. Though we didn't do any "gardening" this time, Zoe got to see a goat getting milked. I think her favorite part is the clambering up and down their play structure. On our part, we enjoyed the ambiance. It was very - how should I say - very reminiscent of the college town vibe. With the band and all the good cheer about, it was also very festive and happy.



No comments: