Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Xtracycle Edgerunner - Initial Thoughts

My human assist system.

I thought I would write a few things about our new bicycle since it is so new on the market and because I have benefited so much from other people's perspective of their cargo/transportation bicycles (I'm assuming other people will somehow find this blog). So, I suppose I should write a little something that will hopefully be useful for someone else out there.

When I was out looking for a cargo bike as an almost-car-replacement, one thing that concerned me in particular is the fact that I'm only 5'1/2" tall and about 105 lbs and a novice biker (I consider myself a novice even though I rode daily when I was in grad school as that was a long time ago, way back in the nineties). There was also some trepidation about my ability to handle traffic (Californian drivers) with two children and, not to mention, the grocery/books I would like to pick up using the bicycle. I felt strongly that I must be able to stand easily and support the bicycle (i.e. it can't be too heavy). 

I considered the Yuba Mundo, the Xtracycle Radish, and (briefly) the Madsen. I never did try the Yuba Mundo though I spoke to Richard of icargobike.com about it and he thought it should fit me with perhaps, if necessary, some adjustments by way of shortening the seat post. As to the Xtracycle Radish, I called up Xtracycle and asked them if they thought the Radish would fit me - would I be able to stand over the highest point of the top tube? The really good people of Xtracycle called me back to try to answer my questions about bike sizing as well as handling. The question was also forwarded to Xtracycle's Nate Byerley, who took the time to reply to my lengthy questions and to tell me that they have a new bike - the Edgerunner - coming out soon and that it has an even lower top tube than the Radish. On top of it, the Edgerunner has a 20" rear wheel that will effectively drop the weight of the children in the back. Edgerunner also has better parts relative to the Radish. In the meanwhile, I tried out Radish at a local bike store (Alternabike in Solana Beach) and discovered - happiness of happiness - that I am able to straddle over the top tube fine. I also tried out a Madsen from someone who was selling hers on Craigslist. I was interested in it because of its low step through and because the bucket can carry more than two children. It is also cheaper since it doesn't need car seat and the bucket provides a bit of wind protection. However, it was an immediate no go as it was simply too heavy and unwieldy for me. I strapped in both children and promptly, even before we got out of the lady's driveway, toppled the entire bike over. It was so heavy I was not able to stop it from hitting the ground. (The children, thankfully, were shaken but unhurt). It was just too big for a little person like me.

In the end, Zoe and I went up to San Francisco to try it out the Edgerunner. It was not quite a long try out and even though I was quite gingerly about it, the Edgerunner felt good and comfortable when I rode it around during the test ride. I also liked the fact that it has rim brakes and that the load sits lower (compared to the Radish). A big reason for deciding on the Xtracycle too (even before trying out the Yuba) is the fact that Nate was just so nice about answering all my questions. It seemed like no question was too stupid (I was rather self conscious about it since I experienced some condescension when I first started shopping and asking questions). So, long and short of it, we bit the bullet and went with the more expensive Edgerunner. 

So far, we love it and I think handling has become easier. Handling isn't hard, but - either because I'm a novice or because I was nervous or both - I felt that I needed to hold the handle bars tight to keep the front from wobbling. This was especially pronounced when I had to peddle hard up a hill. Since then, with more use, I feel less of this wobble but it is still there. Just yesterday, cars had to slow for me as I struggled to make a left hand turn at a junction with an incline. But it is getting better and as it is getting better, I assume it is a rider issue and not a bicycle issue (I would be able to confirm this later).

The Edgerunner has also, over the last month, become less a behemoth to me. It was never hard to ride but it is definitely easier and more natural to me now. It rides like a normal bicycle and is springy and responsive. That said, I have tipped the entire bike over twice now. The first time was when I went to get Zoe from school. I stopped to check to make sure that my sunglasses case didn't fall out of the bags and - for reasons I don't quite know - the whole thing went over while I was straddled over. The second time - yesterday - I was trying to push the bike (with two kids in the back) over a small curb. I was off the bike with both hands on the handle bars. The front wheel is over but the back wheels with the weight of the children on them was stuck. The bike fell on its side as I pushed forward harder. I think the lesson is for me to put one hand on the hooptie and another on the handle bar to better manage the weight in the back.

Finally, the brakes work. They work really, really well. We went down a very short but very steep hill yesterday. I was a little frightened of it. It didn't help that Zoe was begging me to get off the bike and walk it down. I'm glad I didn't as I wouldn't have been able to control the bike if I were off it and without the help of the brakes. Yay to good brakes.

Quite a few people stopped to talk to me about the bicycle yesterday. Mothers, fathers, random cyclists. It gave me hope that perhaps, before long, there will be more and more cargo bikes out here.

I ought to add that it hasn't been easy - physically - getting up the hills around here. Really, before actually riding up the hill, I thought I would overcome it. Now... I waver. Some days, like the little blue engine, I say "I think I can, I think I can." Others.... I can't. But it is getting easier, but I think a lot determination is needed on my part to get strong. Either that or I should start putting aside money for electric assist.


1 comment:

Runnergirl said...

Hi Jackie!

Great blog! I stumbled across it looking for other petite women's experience with the Xtracylce Edgerunner.

Like you, I am 5'1 and have been considering the Xtracycle Edgerunner to transport my 4.5 year old and 19 month old. Curious, has riding gotten easier over time? Do you feel more confident?

I had the bike for a week and was super confident with one child on it. Then after practicing, I added a Yepp seat and my toddler and I panicked and returned the bike to our local shop. I am regretting not giving it a week to try and am seriously considering going back and trying it again! Crazy, but I am determined to minimize my dependency on a car. Nothing ruins your day like sitting in traffic!

Best,
Lisa