Saturday, January 5, 2013

Language Development - New Words!!!

I am wondering now if Halmonie read my post yesterday and made a special prayer for Evan. Today, Evan said "beach," "water," and "juice!" That's three words I have never heard out of his mouth before! Ok, he hasn't said the words more than five times (that's when they can be officially counted as part of his spoken/signed vocabulary). But he said it! They were spoken in context and used correctly! I was using some of the methods taught by the speech therapy class - repetition and taking turns. With the water, I played this silly game where I looked into his cup (filled with water) and exclaimed, "what's inside your cup? Is it milk?" Evan shook his head and said "no!" and then indicated with sign language that the content is water. I then looked into the cup with an exaggerated puzzled look and said, "No! This does not look like water! It is milk!" Evan then giggled and said "no" again and then signed "water." We went back and forth many times with it. Evan giggled and giggled. The point was to repeat the sound of milk and water. Finally, at some point, he said water instead of signing it. I was delighted. We played the same game, but substituting juice for milk and Evan said juice at some point too! Evan might have said it again except that Dennis was so happy about it he immediately followed Evan's pronouncement of it with a loud "Evan said JUICE!" and Evan backed off after. Never mind. This is all progress and I am so encouraged by it!

No comments: