Tuesday, December 11, 2007

What does it feel like?

Dennis asked me what it is like to have another creature - Zoe - subsist on me, on the milk produce by me. I never gave it much thought until now. I think the feelings and emotions that stand out most are polar opposites to one another - deep satisfaction and deep frustration. Satisfaction when she feeds well. Frustration when she doesn't feed well - or I should say when I perceive it to be unwell. There is also feelings of tenderness and love. That said, I often do what I shouldn't do: Instead of cooing to her or focusing all my attention on her as I should, I read the internet when baby is feeding.

Anyhow, I was reassured today about Zoe's feeding after a visit to the Women's Health Center. As it turns out, Zoe can actually get about 2 oz of milk in about three minutes of feed. (I did a before and after feed weigh). This is a reminder that I should listen to my daughter about her needs. When she pushes me away, even if she has only been on the breast for as little as three minutes, I should just accept it and not fret if she's had enough.

Incidentally, Zoe is today 15 weeks. She weighs 12 lbs 13.1 oz today.

No comments: