Thursday, December 20, 2007

Wine Note - Chapel Hill Shiraz McClaren Vale 2005

I picked this up at Costco last week and Dennis and I opened it to accompany the Biyaldi I made on Sunday. The funny thing about this wine is that both Dennis and I did not love it at first. It had lovely fruit, but both of us thought that it was a little sharp. Well, I guess what it needed was some air, for it actually tasted really good the next day. The sharpness receded and was replaced by smooth, luscious fruit (black berry-ish). Dennis liked it enough to want to hurry back to Costco to buy a few more for stocking up. I paid $10.99 for the bottle at Costco, but I read that some places are selling it at $16.99 and $19.99.

(Incidentally, Dennis said that he doesn't usually react to the phrase Chapel Hill favorably. I am happy to report that this is Chapel Hill, Australia and not the Chapel Hill where UNC is situated).

No comments: