Friday, May 30, 2008

Singapore and Angkor Wat!

So the big news is this: We are going to Singapore and Cambodia at the end of this year! Seven days in Singapore and a three days excursion to Siem Reap in Cambodia to see the famed Angkor Wat. We are very excited! We can't wait to have Zoe meet her other grandfather, Dennis has been wanting to see Singapore, and Angkor Wat is one of those places I have always wanted to see.

We conceived of the plan only a few days ago, after my brother and I decided to hold mom's 70th surprise birthday bash in Singapore (instead of Japan, as originally suggested). In fact, going to Siem Reap was not so much by design as by serendipity. We decided to fly by Singapore Airlines because it offers a confirmed wall-mounted bassinet large enough for Zoe. (United cannot guarantee a bassinet that Zoe can sleep in; in fact, I was told that the chances of my getting it is pretty slim, notwithstanding the fact that both airlines charge 10% of the price of the adult ticket). And, as it turns out, with Singapore Airlines, if one is just a little clever with the planning, one can fly to another destination within Asia for either less money or the same money. So, why not?

Anyhow, I'm already working hard on the travel arrangements: checking out and booking hotels in Siem Reap, finding out about vaccinations and such. Then, there is also the research to be done for mom's birthday bash. All very exciting!

Dennis said the other day that if not because the era of the travel agent is over, I would make a very good one. I suppose! After all I have travel agency blood in me. That was Dad's first business. Way back in the 1960s, Dad founded a travel agency that became, for a while, one of Asia's most prominent.

Anyhow, I think this would be a nice little vacation. I wish it can be longer - I would like to properly visit Cambodia or Vietnam one day - but we take what we can. Besides, even though Cambodia is now pretty safe to visit - I take the number of Singaporeans who visit as verity of its safety; Singaporeans, generally, have little tolerance for any kind of danger, real or imagined - it is best to stick to the well worn paths of Siem Reap. Besides, given Zoe's tender age, I would not want her at any place with less than reliable facilities.

Well, that's it for now. Looking forward to putting a few thousand miles on Zoe's frequent flyer plan.



Pictures of Angkor Wat

No comments: