Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Update on Diet and Eczema

Zoe's skin has been, on the whole, looking good the last couple of weeks. There were one or two small outbreaks, but they cleared up after I washed her skin with soap followed by a good application of Aquaphor. Both times, I can trace the outbreak to contact with detergent. One day, it happened very swiftly after I wiped her face with a restaurant napkin. The other, I can link it to a cover that was last wash a long time ago and last washed in detergent too. Can I take these incidences plus the fact that her face is now generally clear and that she no longer seem to be allergic to everything we give her as evidence that her eczema was caused entirely by detergent?

I'm not going to be complacent though. It was so challenging - emotionally and mentally - when Zoe had the eczema, I don't want to be in that situation ever again if I can help it!

Anyhow, the following is a list of food we have introduced to her:

Food that is safe:
Avocado
Chicken
Banana
Butternut Squash
Corn
Oatmeal
Papaya
Prunes
Sweet Potato
Winter Squash

Food that is still under observation (i.e was introduced recently or not in big enough quantity yet to know for sure):
Apple
Mango
Plum
Rice

Food on hold because of suspected allergy (though not proven completely unsafe):
Flaxseed Oil

Food that I look forward to introducing to baby in the next few weeks:
Broccoli
Beef
Egg York (highly recommended, but is known to be a high probability allergenic food too. Egg white is not recommended till after one year old)
Lentil
Peach
Spinach

No comments: