Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Blight in the Garden

Sadly, it looks like blight or some kind of fungus infection has arrived in our garden. All but one of our zucchini plants have white spots all over the leaves. One is covered in a down of white. The tomatoes on that bed - two of them - were so healthy before. They have been looking wilted and listless the last two days. Watering didn't help. I am beginning to think they have blight.

Blight is bad news. They travel. The spores are carried by wind. I'll make an attempt at curbing it tomorrow with a milk treatment (apparently, a diluted 1 to 10 parts solution is a great fungal treatment) and also cutting back of some of the plants. I hope it helps. I'm quite bumped by it. I have been watching the zucchinis closely for two weeks now. But the eggplants and tomatoes is a real bummer. They were just starting to fruit!

I guess this is a rite of passage for any home gardener (or I should say wannabe homesteader): Dealing with diseases and bugs.


Zoe studying my book on plant diseases and insects. She loves the pictures of bugs.

Our eggplant when it still looked relatively healthy. In retrospect, the leaf in the foreground already looks ill.

No comments: