Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Challenges Ahead

We are so grateful and happy that our little vegetable pad is doing well - thus far at least. There were instances of suspected fungal issues (which went away after I watered less straight after transplanting and avoided overhead watering), some aphids issue (which we resolved by releasing a whole lot of ladybugs into the garden), and caterpillar issues (which we determined were the bad sort and is currently under control by the use of some neem oil as well as physical removal of the voracious eaters). I am still watching the lemon and blueberry shrubs carefully, which all seem to be malnourished or not quite 100% given their yellowing or disfiguring leaves. For them, I've added iron and sulphur as well as other nutrients. I hope it's not Nematodes or other more serious disease I am not aware of. I've been reading so much trying to figure out what's wrong (and what to do), yet one can never be sure based simply on a few pictures. Just as when Dennis was ill (he is all well again, thank goodness. A case of food poisoning or stomach flu is what we think it is), all his symptoms corresponded to all kinds of illnesses. Same with the plant leaves coloring that I tried to match to pictures I find on the internet. For now, as a matter of expediency (for lack of time), I can only sit back, observe, and hope that I've provided the best possible care already and hope the plants have sufficient reserves to fight back on their own.

Looking ahead, there is so much to do still. Since we didn't grow up with gardening and do not have natural green thumbs (they were heretofore rather black), we embarked on this in a rather academic fashion. That is, we haul loads of gardening books home from the library, I signed up for classes, we research online, take notes.... Part of the challenge is that not only do we want to grow food, we want to do it ecologically, sustainably, and do it beautifully. And did I mention economically yet? In short, not only do we (or I) have to come up with a grand design in terms of uses and look/style, we (or I) have to think about and incorporate all kinds of ecological and biological variables that would make or break the plan.

And there is so much to think about! How to design such that we can have a sustainable garden that invites friendly wildlife, have an area to entertain and have fun with the children, as well as relax and unwind? What would go where?

We say patience. Sit back and observe first the land, how the sun falls, the wind blows, the life that the soil supports (weeds)... however, sometimes, the weeds and the general messiness makes my heart impatient. Still, I'll have to be patient. Bun 2 will be arriving in three months and some and I expect I won't have much time in the immediate months after to do too much planning.

No comments: